KANKAKEE COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL
Job Title: Animal Control Officer
Department: Animal Control
Reports to: Director of Animal Control
Pay Range: Starting at $11.27 per hour, plus full benefits
Under general supervision of the Administrative Director and/or Administrative Veterinarian, performs responsible work in the enforcement of County Animal Control Ordinances and Illinois Animal Control Act.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes but is not limited to the following objectives:
- Apprehending stray or unlicensed animals, assisting in the care of impounded animals and disposition of unclaimed animals.
- Responds to complaints concerning animal problems or violations of animal control ordinances, including but not limited to animals running at large, bites, humane care, or injuries; works with sheriff¡¦s department and local police departments by providing assistance to them in cases involving animals.
- Issue warnings and citations, investigates animal abuse, prepares reports and testifies in court.
- Maintains availability by radio, telephone, or pager during normal business hours and after normal business hours when on call.
- Ability to use safe and proper judgment in decisions while handling difficult and emergency situations.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the Animal Control Facility and other related work as assigned.
- Maintains vehicles inside and out.
- Assisting with the care, feeding and animal husbandry in the shelter as needed.
- Assists with medical treatment of animals, injections, deworming, bathing, testing stool samples.
- Assists and/or performs euthanasia via lethal injection on animals as necessary.
- Assists and/or performs education classes on animal laws, humane care and ownership.
- Assists with adoptions, registration, redemption and other clerical duties as assigned.
- Enters and maintains animals into log, both on paper and via computer.
- Maintains records and files of the animal control facility and the animals housed there including, but not limited to bite reports, rabies certificates and miscellaneous paperwork.
- Assists public in locating lost and found animals.
- Provides public information on redeeming impounded animals.
- Assists adoption coordinator with the public as it relates to animals adoptions.
- Assists public as they bring in donations such as newspapers, food, blankets, etc.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to pass urine drug screen and criminal background check.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate Degree or the equivalent and one (1) year of experience providing care for animals within an animal shelter, veterinary office, animal hospital or other closely related agency or organization. Previous work experience must have included contact with the public. Experience as an Animal Control Officer for a public or law enforcement agency is desirable.
Hours for this position can be Monday - Friday or Tuesday - Saturday (35 hours per week) depending on the need of the Department. However, Officers are required to take on call hours which include nights, weekends and holidays.
POSTING DATE: Sept 24, 2015
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Oct 16, 2015
APPLICATIONS: Applications may be obtained at the Kankakee County Administration Building, 189 E. Court Street, Suite 502, Kankakee, IL 60901
THE COUNTY OF KANKAKEE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER